Sunday 18 March 2012

The Great Playthrough begins...

So, as I'm sure the vast majority of you know, the ever-wonderful Neety and I are getting married in just over a years time, and consequentially we are looking at ways to save money etc for the next year. My contribution to all of this? I'm giving up buying computer games for myself.

I'm sure that at some time in the next year I will gain new games, probably around birthdays and Christmas, but no more will I buy a game simply because it is reduced and I think I might enjoy it.

"So what are you going to do to entertain yourself Brawny?" I hear you all ask. Well, since I have over 160 games, spread over at least 13 platforms, I've decided that I'm going to play them. All of them. And I'm going to post here to let you know what I think of them. You see, in my long and varied gaming career I have obtained many games, some bought full price on release day, some bought in the sales and some bought from car boot sales, and there's a lot of them that I haven't played in years, and some that I haven't played at all.

So now I'm going to. I'm embarking on a project that I tentatively call "Brawny's great gaming playthrough." (Yes, I know it's a rubbish name, but until I think of a better one, I'm sticking with it.)

"But Brawny," I hear you all yell, "How are you going to choose which one to play?"

That's easy. I've organised them into a list. And then, with the help of an online random number generator, I've put them into a random order.

So what are the rules? Well, it's very simple. And, because I like presenting things in list form, here is a list of them.

1) I will play each game for at least an hour. At the end of the hour is when I will write up the blogpost detailing what I think of the game and whether I would like to continue playing. If I find the game so rubbish that I cannot play for an hour I won't force myself to continue, but if it's just dull I will carry on.

2) I will start from the beginning. Ignoring any save games that are already in place on the relevant games, I will pick a fresh one and start from the beginning. Where this is impossible (on games that only allow one save game that I do not wish to delete for example) I will play the game through from the beginning as best I can.

3) I will attempt to play AT LEAST one game a week. I'm going to need to do more than that if I'm going to finish this within a year, but I think one a week is a good basic level to start from.

These are not necessarily the only games I will play this year - I'm free to play any game at any time, but I will only post opinions once I have played the game in list order.

So that's it. I'm off to play my first game which is *checks list* Midway Arcade Hits on the Nintendo Game Boy. Wish me luck, and I'll see you back here soon.

No comments: